Friday, October 18, 2013

I Thank You God by Bernard Dadi

I Thank You God
Bernard Dadi

I thank you God for creating me black,
For making me
Porter of all sorrows,
Setting on my head
The World.
I wear the Centaur’s hide
And I have carried the World since the first morning.

White is the color for special occasions
Black the color for every day
And I have carried the World since the first evening.

I am glad
Of the shape of my head
Made to carry the World,
Content
With the shape of my nose
That must snuff every wind of the world
Pleased
With the shape of my legs
Ready to run all the heats of the World.

I thank you God for creating me black
For making of me
Porter of all sorrows.

Thirty – six swords have pierced my heart.
Thirty – six fires have burnt my body.
And my blood all calvaries has reddened the snow.
And my blood at every dawn has reddened all nature.

Still I am
Glad to carry the World,
Glad of my short arms
of my long legs
of the thickness of my lips.

I thank you God for creating me black.
White is your color for special occasions
Black the color for every day
And I have carried the World since the dawn of time.
And my laugh over the World, through the night, creates the Day.


I thank you God for creating me black

GEMS 2 Afro – Asian Literature



*********************************************************************************
           This was a very wonderful and inspiring poem. In thi poem, the author was very proud of what God gave to him. Even though God created him black he accepted it from the bottom of his heart. We should not judge other people and based their worth through their color and physical appearance.

            "We should always be contented for all the things that God gave to us and what we've already have."













2 comments: